This month we attended the bira (British Independent Retailers Association) conference in Hinckley. There were over 12 interactive workshops as well as talks from entrepreneurs including Levi Roots and Hardeep Singh-Kohli. Below are 8 key points we learned from the conference:
- Rise of online shopping will not slow but there are many online opportunities for independents
- Four useful websites for independent retailers trouva.com, near.st, downyourhighstreet.com, vendhq.com
- Social media is key, particularly Instagram and Facebook, for customer engagement and reviews
- It is highly recommended that independent retailers collect data about their customers
- Independent retailers have an advantage over nationals as they are usually a "cherish" retail experience not "chore" (which is likely to be done online)
- In-store experience is key
- Methods of payment is changing rapidly, Sweden and Denmark aim to be cashless in the next 5 years
- Shopping is becoming more local
Earlier this month we launched a partnership with the British Independents Retailers Association (bira) to support independent retailers in a changing and often challenging, retail landscape.
For further information on the Sorbon Estates' and bira partnership and how we are committed to our independent tenants please visit our Independently Minded webpage.